Following an apprenticeship as an electrician in Bristol, Lionel Cadogan Mitchell gained experience in America before returning to Gloucester to set up his own business in 1905.
His early work started in the coal mines of the Forest of Dean providing electric lighting and soon developed into fitting generating plant and wiring in factories, offices and large houses. Within 10 years Mr Mitchell was training his own apprentices to become his future workforce.
1914 – A shop was established in St Aldate Street, Gloucester, which served as the base for the electrical installation contracting business. As mains electricity became available to homes and businesses so the demand for appliances appeared. Lighting fittings and shades, electric irons, boiling rings and toasters eventually grew into electric cookers, washing machines. Industrial work developed in the manufacturing industries of Gloucestershire with electric motors, dynamos, lifts and machines powered by electricity becoming the norm.
1920 – Mr Mitchell acquired larger retail premises in Northgate Street where the shop became one of the main suppliers and repairers of electrical appliances in the city, also supplying radio receivers and repairs.
1935 – Cold storage and ice manufacture was growing and electricity taking over from steam and other forms of power. The butcher’s coldroom and farmer’s milk cooling led Mitchell’s into the refrigeration business and it was not long before the domestic refrigerator was selling from 52 Northgate Street and the commercial refrigeration business was developed as distributors for York Refrigeration.
By the later thirties the company was well established and during the Second World War provided many electricians at the Gloster Aircraft Company in Brockworth to keep wartime aircraft production going. Wiring looms for the aircraft were also assembled at their Northgate Street premises.
In the fifties television signals had spread to Gloucester and Mitchell’s became retail agents for some of the leading brands with in the home repair facilities available as well.
1959 – L C Mitchell died and his son Bob Mitchell succeeded him as Managing Director.
1977 – With the rise of the discount retailer in Gloucester the retail business was sadly closed. 1977 also saw the death of Bob Mitchell at the rather young age of 62 and the business passed to his son, Norman Mitchell, who remains Chairman today. Premises had been acquired in Bristol Road long before 1977 and the electrical contracting business had moved to avoid the tightening parking restrictions in the City centre. The commercial refrigeration and air conditioning team was moved into the old farm buildings of L C Mitchell in Hucclecote.
1982 – When more space became available adjacent to our Bristol Road premises a large purpose built workshop and offices were built and the refrigeration and air conditioning team moved to the head office site.
2000 - Garrion Leeds was appointed Managing Director and has continued to direct Mitchell’s in their pursuit of exemplary service to all of our customers.